Substitute Paraeducator-Special Education
Boulder Valley School District is committed to create challenging, meaningful, and engaging learning opportunities so that all children thrive and are prepared for successful, civically engaged lives. Our comprehensive and innovative approach to education ensures that each student meets expectations relative to intellectual growth, physical development and social emotional well-being. The district covers approximately 500 square miles and serves the communities of Boulder, Erie, Louisville, Lafayette, Superior, Broomfield, Nederland, Ward, Jamestown and Gold Hill. Website: BVSD.
School: Horizons K-8 School
Position Title: Substitute Paraeducator-Special Education
Position Start Date: Immediately
Position Type: Charter
Work Schedule: As Needed
Salary: The FY23 Horizons in-house para sub rate is $16.02/hr
Closing Date: September 25, 2023
Horizons K-8 School, located in south Boulder, has a rich history of academic excellence. The Horizons community takes great pride in attending to the whole child through an atmosphere of respect, responsibility, safety and kindness throughout the school. A consistently high-performing school, Horizons emphasizes multi-age groupings, diverse perspectives, full inclusion, service learning, teacher-guided student choice, community building, authentic and active learning experiences, outdoor education, use of technology, and project-based instruction. Our 348 students are in classes of 18-20, guided by an exemplary group of teacher leaders. The school is governed through a horizontal structure that includes faculty, staff, parents and administration. Portfolio-based assessments and reflections, along with student-led conferences, replace traditional report cards and grades.
Our mission is to guide K-8 students to become self-directed learners in a supportive, collaborative environment rooted in critical thinking, justice, and choice. At Horizons K-8 School we strive to make our school an exciting, inclusive place to work, teach, learn, create, and innovate by actively fostering a respectful and responsible environment where all community members - staff, students and families - are included.
- Provide personal care to students as needed
- Ability to perform physical labor, including lifting of up to 50 pounds
- Provide careful and effective supervision of students
- Carry out instructional/behavioral objectives for individuals or small groups of students with disabilities
- Use positive reinforcement strategies to maintain a safe environment
- Maintain a clean and safe physical environment
- High school diploma, completion of GED, or equivalent
- Completion of Colorado Dept of Human Services criminal background screening and CBI fingerprints
- Excellent collaboration, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Completed and submitted Horizons K-8 online application
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with frequent interruptions
- Ability to diffuse and manage volatile and stressful situations
- Advanced interpersonal relation skills
- Advanced critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Tolerance for moderate noise level
- Comfort with physical activities such as standing, walking, reaching, stooping, kneeling, or crouching
- Comfort with exposure to outdoor weather conditions
Horizons K-8 is an equal opportunity educational institution and is committed to the goal of building a diverse faculty and staff. Applications from underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged.
We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, sex, gender identity/expression, national origin, creed, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status in admission or access to and treatment of employment in its educational programs or activities. Inquiries or complaints: Office for Civil Rights. http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/addresses.html
Salary Placement varies according to experience and education.
Application and Selection Procedure:
- External Candidates: Apply on-line at jobs.bvsd
- Current BVSD Employees: Must apply through the INFOR portal
- If you do not have internet access, a computer is available in the Human Resources Division, Education Center, 6500 E. Arapahoe, Boulder, Colorado.
- Applications are reviewed to match candidates with position qualifications, with a limited number selected for interviews. For the final selection, employment is contingent upon successful completion of the post-offer screening process, including a background check and possible medical examination.
The Boulder Valley School District is an equal opportunity educational institution and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, sex, gender identity/expression, national origin, creed, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status in admission or access to, and treatment and employment in its educational programs or activities. Inquiries or complaints: BVSD Legal Counsel - 720-561-5903; Office for Civil Rights - http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/addresses.html