Boulder Valley School District is committed to create challenging, meaningful, and engaging learning opportunities so that all children thrive and are prepared for successful, civically engaged lives. Our comprehensive and innovative approach to education ensures that each student meets expectations relative to intellectual growth, physical development and social emotional well-being. The district covers approximately 500 square miles and serves the communities of Boulder, Erie, Louisville, Lafayette, Superior, Broomfield, Nederland, Ward, Jamestown and Gold Hill. Website: BVSD.
School: Horizons K-8 School
Job Vacancy: Head of School
Effective Date of Hire: July 1, 2023
Position Description: Full Time
Application Deadline: March 2, 2023
Horizons K-8 School, a charter school located in south Boulder, has a rich history of academic excellence and attention to the whole child. The Horizons community takes great pride in fostering an atmosphere of respect, responsibility, safety, and kindness with an emphasis on building positive relationships throughout the school. A consistently high-performing school, Horizons emphasizes multi-age groupings, full inclusion, service learning, teacher-guided student choice, community building, authentic and active learning experiences, outdoor education, use of technology, experiential learning opportunities, and emphasis on projects. Our 348 students are in classes of 18-20 students, guided by an exemplary group of teacher leaders. The school is governed through a shared leadership approach that includes faculty, staff, parents, and administrators. A range of assessments and student-led conferences replace traditional report cards and grades.
Our vision is to develop a community of reflective learners who advocate for themselves, others, and a just world.
Our mission is to guide K-8 students to become self-directed learners in a supportive, collaborative environment rooted in critical thinking, justice, and choice.
Community: We are a relationship based community of lifelong learners who engage in experiences that deeply connect us to one another.
Responsibility: We share decision-making to empower all members of the school community.
Diversity: We learn about and empathize with others, so that we all belong.
Growth: We are committed to continuous growth through authentic learning and the highest standard of academic, social, and emotional experiences.
Communication: We are open, honest, and direct with one another to build trust.
At Horizons K-8 School, we strive to make our school an exciting, inclusive place to work, teach, learn, create, and innovate by actively fostering a respectful and responsible environment where all community members - staff, students and families - are included.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following statements of duties and responsibilities are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. These statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required of this position.
- Guide best instructional practice, including current research-based practices in curriculum and assessment, project-based learning, experiential learning, multi-age structures, and inquiry-based instruction
- Engage in collaborative decision making with faculty, staff, students, and parents
- Implement and facilitate a collaborative coaching model with faculty and staff
- Lead data-driven school improvement processes to ensure academic results
- Facilitate long-term strategic planning
- Advocate for students, staff, parents, and teachers
- Responsible for the school’s development of yearly school goals, Unified Improvement Plan, and preparation of reports to the district and state regarding these goals
- Facilitate school communication processes
- Assist in academic planning and behavior management
- Settle unresolved student discipline issues and advise students as needed. Set fair, safe and supportive discipline policies.
- Facilitate parent education and professional development opportunities for the staff
- Lead internal and external meetings with partners, parents, students, organizations, faculty and staff
- Teach/co-teach a class when possible
Administrative and Operational Oversight
- Serve as the school's principal administrator and primary representative to the Horizons board, BVSD School Board and administration, parents, and the public
- Sustain positive relationship with school district while maintaining integrity of charter
- Exercise the school’s authority over all school accounts maintained by the district, and all other school financial accounts, in accordance with Horizons’ financial policies and approved budgets. Work with the school's finance review committee, the board, the council, the faculty, and the school's business office personnel to create, approve and monitor all financial matters
- Supervise school facilities, maintenance, and construction
- Recruit, hire, and provide training for all faculty and staff
- Collaborate with Board chair to facilitate Board and Council meetings and agendas
- Attend Board and Council meetings as necessary
- Attend Equity, Diversity, and Belonging meetings and facilitate communication with the staff about current initiatives
- Hear and resolve public complaints or refer them for appropriate response
- Manage daily school operations including safety drills and procedures
- Direct the school’s compliance with legally-required student testing and evaluations
- Oversee and facilitate all open enrollment events and procedures
- Maintain a safe and secure educational environment
- Manage school-wide emergency response team and crisis response
- Manage, supervise, and evaluate front office staff and custodial staff
- Possess or eligible to obtain a Colorado Principal License.
- Experience with teaching, staff supervision, evaluation, and educational leadership in elementary and/or middle school.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in school leadership
- Charter school experience with boards, funding structure, bylaws, charter contracts, charter waivers, and monthly board reporting
- Experience with MTSS, 504s, IEPs, and ALPs including legal requirement, family partnership, and plan implementation
- Experience with school-based budgeting, forecasting and business skills
- Understand the educational value of diversity, and appreciate and be responsive to students and families of diverse backgrounds, cultures, and abilities
- Experience with the K-8 model and multi-age/grade class groupings
- Experience with non-graded, experiential, project-based, integrated, interdisciplinary approaches
- Knowledgeable and skilled in compassionate, non-violent communication strategies and models
- Demonstrated skills in facilitation, problem solving, and conflict management
- Knowledge of special education and full inclusion
- Familiarity with criteria put forth in CO-SB10-191 regarding teacher evaluation
- Understanding of English Language Learners and appropriate programming
- Experience in current behavioral and academic intervention systems
- Technological literacy, Google applications savvy, and motivated to use technology to enhance learning and administrative systems
- Fundraising and grant writing experience
- Strong communication, facilitation, and mediation skills
- Commitment to equity, diversity, and belonging
- Compassion and empathy
- Sense of humor and flexibility
- Entrepreneurial, enthusiastic spirit, and progressive vision
- Capacity to embrace change and innovation
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong planning, organization, and systems thinking
Commensurate with experience and position on the Horizons K-8 Salary Schedule, which can be found via the Horizons K-8 website. The position is full time on the "Head of School Annual Salary Range" Horizons K-8 Building Administrator Schedule. Up to five years of equitable experience will be granted. No phone calls please.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS INCLUDE:
- Three professional letters of recommendation, including phone numbers for references
- Current resume
- Cover Letter of interest outlining skills and abilities. Please specify how and why you are a good fit for Horizons K-8.
Contact: Mike Ashmore, Board Co-Chair at: email@example.com
Applications are reviewed to match candidates with position qualifications, with a limited number selected for initial interviews. Additional school-based visits will be scheduled for finalists. For the final selection, employment is contingent upon successful completion of the post-offer screening process, including reference checks, a background check and possible medical examination.
Horizons K-8 is an equal opportunity educational institution and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, sex, gender identity/expression, national origin, creed, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status in admission or access to, and treatment and employment in its educational programs or activities. Inquiries or complaints: Office for Civil Rights http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/addresses.html