Paraeducator-Pre-K Special Education
Boulder Valley School District is committed to create challenging, meaningful, and engaging learning opportunities so that all children thrive and are prepared for successful, civically engaged lives. Our comprehensive and innovative approach to education ensures that each student meets expectations relative to intellectual growth, physical development and social emotional well-being. The district covers approximately 500 square miles and serves the communities of Boulder, Erie, Louisville, Lafayette, Superior, Broomfield, Nederland, Ward, Jamestown and Gold Hill. Website: BVSD.
School: Nederland Elementary
Position Title: Paraeducator-Pre-K Special Education
Position Start Date: August 25, 2022
Position Type: Paraeducators
FTE: 0.30 - 12 hours per week - Temporary (8/25/22 - 5/25/23)
Work Schedule: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday: 8:30 - 11:30 AM
Pay Range: $19.15 - $27.77
Closing Date: August 12, 2022
Assists students with intensive needs in both the regular and special education classrooms. This includes behavioral, academic, health and other types of supports.
- Provide support to special education students in the regular and special education classrooms.
- Supports may include assisting students by adapting work, monitoring and enforcing social and acceptable behavior, implementing health care plans, toileting assistant, academic support etc.
- Assist children in the cafeteria, at recess, in labs or any other time help is required, including getting on and off the bus.
- Assist in crisis situations often involving physically aggressive students including, but not limited to, restraining and documentation.
- Understand state laws, rules and regulations pertaining to management of behaviors and protocol safeguards. Implement specialized therapy programs.
- These supports are defined in student individualized education plans (IEP) and are provided under the direct supervision of the case manager/teacher.
- Mentor, support and assist students with a variety of abilities and disabilities to become competent, independent adults.
- Assist students and case manager/teachers on field trips.
- Assist with administering tests or assessments.
- Assist case manager/teacher with paperwork and documentation of progress on goals and plans.
- Maintain student confidentiality, following state regulations and district protocols around confidentiality.
- Collaborate with special education teacher/case manager on implementation of individual student plans.
- Attend required professional development, including CPI, CPR and First Aid. Maintain certification in these areas.
- Follow behavior support plans, both proactive supports and crisis management, including appropriate use of CPI and maintaining student confidentiality.
- When requested, attend IEP annual or tri-annual meetings as well as staff meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must meet or exceed the education and experience requirements as established by the Colorado Department of Human Services (Rule 7.702.44A as of 1/17/19). Review the Early Childhood Teacher qualifications to determine how you qualify for this position as there are several ways to qualify. The documentation needs to be uploaded to the online application, not just on a resume, to be considered for interviews.
- Complete and submitted BVSD online application.
- Communicate (read, write, and speak) in English, must pass English component of interview process.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds; diaper, feed; complete other delegated nursing and health care duties
- Certification in CPR, First Aid, Universal Precautions and Medication administration.
- Experience with inclusive practices to include students with special needs preferred.
- Experience with instructional support of small groups and individual students.
- Take the initiative in positively managing student behavior.
- Able to multi-task while attending to instructional needs of children.
- Works collaboratively with teachers and others to implement lesson plans, complete student observations, collect and organize student data.
- Communicate well with children and staff.
- Follow directions with minimal guidance.
- Respect confidentiality of staff and students and understands privacy issues within schools.
- Manage time effectively.
- Experience working with preschool age children preferred.
- Provide assistance with personal care including diapering, feeding and hand washing.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Bilingual Spanish/English.
Salary Placement varies according to experience and education.
Application and Selection Procedure:
- External Candidates: Apply on-line at jobs.bvsd
- Current BVSD Employees: Must apply through the INFOR portal
- If you do not have internet access, a computer is available in the Human Resources Division, Education Center, 6500 E. Arapahoe, Boulder, Colorado.
- Applications are reviewed to match candidates with position qualifications, with a limited number selected for interviews. For the final selection, employment is contingent upon successful completion of the post-offer screening process, including a background check and possible medical examination.
The Boulder Valley School District is an equal opportunity educational institution and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, sex, gender identity/expression, national origin, creed, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status in admission or access to, and treatment and employment in its educational programs or activities. Inquiries or complaints: BVSD Legal Counsel - 720-561-5903; Office for Civil Rights - http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/addresses.html