Boulder Valley School District is committed to create challenging, meaningful, and engaging learning opportunities so that all children thrive and are prepared for successful, civically engaged lives. Our comprehensive and innovative approach to education ensures that each student meets expectations relative to intellectual growth, physical development and social emotional well-being. The district covers approximately 500 square miles and serves the communities of Boulder, Erie, Louisville, Lafayette, Superior, Broomfield, Nederland, Ward, Jamestown and Gold Hill. Website: BVSD.
Department: Special Education
Position Title: Brailist
Position Start Date: August 15, 2022
Position Type: Unit E - Special Skills Aide II
FTE: 0.875 - Regular, ongoing
Starting Pay: $21.20
Closing Date: August 7, 2022
Braillists works to provide materials that accommodate the needs of visually impaired students. This includes using technology to create braille materials, manually brailing and otherwise accommodating materials (e.g. maps, diagrams, charts) for students Pre-K through age 21.
- Use technology to create braille materials, manually braille and otherwise accommodate materials for students pre-K through age 21.
- Work collaboratively with Teachers of the Visually Impaired to gain information and direction about what materials and in what style materials need to be accommodated for individual students. This includes delivery materials to schools and staff on occasion.
- Attend occasional professional development, either through the District or specific to the field of visual impairment.
- Maintain collection of materials and equipment that the Vision department.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma plus specialized advanced courses in business, technical or vocational school up to two years of college.
- Colorado Department of Education Certificate for Braille Competency; obtain during probationary period
- Use of assorted graphic production equipment (tracing wheel, light box, hole punch, textured materials, etc.)
- Communicate (read, write, and speak) in English.
- Completed and submitted BVSD on-line application.
- Working knowledge of various Braille codes - most specifically literary and mathematics braille.
- Proficiency in Windows-based MS Office programs & Google Suite.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of individuals.
- Ability to work within team structure to meet deadlines while ensuring accuracy and completeness of projects.
- Salary Placement varies according to experience and education.
Application and Selection Procedure:
- External Candidates:Apply on-line at jobs.bvsd
- Current BVSD Employees:Must apply through theINFOR portal
- If you do not have internet access, a computer is available in the Human Resources Division, Education Center, 6500 E. Arapahoe, Boulder, Colorado.
- Applications are reviewed to match candidates with position qualifications, with a limited number selected for interviews. For the final selection, employment is contingent upon successful completion of the post-offer screening process, including a background check and possible medical examination.
The Boulder Valley School District is an equal opportunity educational institution and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, sex, gender identity/expression, national origin, creed, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status in admission or access to, and treatment and employment in its educational programs or activities. Inquiries or complaints: BVSD Legal Counsel - 720-561-5903; Office for Civil Rights -http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/addresses.html