Technician-Fleet Service II
Boulder Valley School District is committed to create challenging, meaningful, and engaging learning opportunities so that all children thrive and are prepared for successful, civically engaged lives. Our comprehensive and innovative approach to education ensures that each student meets expectations relative to intellectual growth, physical development and social emotional well-being. The district covers approximately 500 square miles and serves the communities of Boulder, Erie, Louisville, Lafayette, Superior, Broomfield, Nederland, Ward, Jamestown and Gold Hill. Website: BVSD.
Position Start Date: Immediately
Position Type: Fleet Service
Pay Range: $24.58 - $33.88
Closing Date: July 10, 2022
Skilled automotive mechanical position works on a heavy volume and wide variety of school district vehicles including school buses, vans, automobiles, grounds maintenance equipment, and other automotive equipment. Must remain insurable with Boulder Valley Schools, be 21 years of age, and retain all certificates throughout employment with Boulder Valley Schools in this position.
- Inspect, diagnose, and repair school buses, vans, trucks, power mowers, tractors and powered equipment. Inspect, diagnose, and repair air/hydraulic/electrical braking, interior/exterior body, electrical, heating/air. conditioning, steering, suspension, power train, drive train, fuel, Hydraulic, and cooling systems.
- Replace and/or Overhaul heavy components, such as, engines, transmissions, rear end assemblies.
- Report to work during snow duty, as required, to provide support to snow removal staff.
- Prepare vehicles for exhaust emission/opacity sampling and testing by performing air pollution control maintenance, inspection, diagnosis, and repair.
- Perform work in a general shop environment or in the field, may be under adverse weather or work conditions while on emergency service calls.
- Perform School Bus Driver duties as required.
- Assist other workers in diagnosis, inspection, and repair of vehicles and equipment per CDE and shop policy as required.
- Record repairs made, parts used, and time worked, through use of fleet software.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Communicate (read, write, and speak) in English.
- Complete and submitted BVSD online application.
- Minimum of three years experience in: Vehicle Maintenance.
- Currently hold a valid Colorado Driver's License.
- Possess or obtain a Class B Commercial Driver's License with P and S endorsements with no restrictions for air brake within the first two months of hire.
- Obtain and maintain a Department of Transportation Medical Examiner's Certificate within the first two months of hire.
- Submit a current Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) and must be insurable and maintain insurability per Colorado School Districts Self Insurance Pool (CSDSIP) standards.
- Possess or maintain a Colorado Department of Education (CDE) Inspectors Certificate within first two months of hire.
- Fleet software knowledge; must acquire within two months of hire.
- Maintain all required certifications throughout employment.
- Successfully pass state required evaluations.
- Considerable knowledge of the standard methods, practices, tools, and materials of the mechanic trade.
- Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certification.
- Considerable knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Journeyman skill level in the trade of automotive and/or heavy equipment mechanics.
- Knowledge of the principles and mechanics of internal combustion engines.
- Skill in locating and adjusting defects in automotive equipment.
- Ability to perform physical labor, including heavy lifting of up to 75 pounds.
- Ability to operate air conditioning, emission testing and other types of technical diagnostic equipment.
- Ability to adapt available tools and repair parts to specific repair problems and to fabricate and install parts and tools.
- Ability to operate motorized equipment.
- Ability to keep simple records.
- Salary Placementvaries according to experience and education.
Application and Selection Procedure:
- Apply on-line at jobs.bvsd(in-district transfers, be sure to include your BVSD employee number).
- If you do not have internet access, a computer is available in the Human Resources Division, Education Center, 6500 E. Arapahoe, Boulder, Colorado.
- Applications are reviewed to match candidates with position qualifications, with a limited number selected for interviews. For the final selection, employment is contingent upon successful completion of the post-offer screening process, including a background check and possible medical examination.
The Boulder Valley School District is an equal opportunity educational institution and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, sex, gender identity/expression, national origin, creed, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status in admission or access to, and treatment and employment in its educational programs or activities. Inquiries or complaints: BVSD Legal Counsel - 720-561-5903; Office for Civil Rights - http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/addresses.html