Culinary Center Production Assistant
Boulder Valley School District is committed to create challenging, meaningful, and engaging learning opportunities so that all children thrive and are prepared for successful, civically engaged lives. Our comprehensive and innovative approach to education ensures that each student meets expectations relative to intellectual growth, physical development and social emotional well-being. The district covers approximately 500 square miles and serves the communities of Boulder, Erie, Louisville, Lafayette, Superior, Broomfield, Nederland, Ward, Jamestown and Gold Hill. Website: BVSD.
Department: Nutrition Services/Education Center
Position Title: Culinary Center Production Assistant
Position Start Date: August 8, 2022
Position Type: Unit C - Food Services
FTE: 1.0 - 40 hours per week - Regular, ongoing
Pay Range: $14.62 - $20.15
Closing Date: August 10, 2022 or until filled
The BVSDCC Production Assistant works closely under the supervision of the BVSDCC Sous Chef, and in tandem with the BVSDCC Production Cooks, calculating, weighing, measuring, preparing, assembling ingredients and cooking for bulk recipe production. As part of maintaining a safe food production environment in the BVSDCC. This position requires the utilization of a high level of food service sanitation knowledge and practice, using the advanced technology and equipment of the BVSDCC.
- Understands and is able to communicate the goals and philosophy of the BVSD Food Services Program.
- Washes, peels, cuts, or shreds ingredients, utilizing high volume bulk production equipment as required for the task.
- Measures, weighs, prepares, assembles ingredients and cooks according to the planned menu and prescribed standardized recipes.
- Participates in the proper receiving, storage and inventorying of food, paper, chemicals and supplies according to the BVSD Food Service Department Standard Operating Procedures.
- Maintains organized storage of all pans, utensils, storage containers and other small-wares and equipment used in the central production facility.
- Assists with Catering as needed and assigned. Unique menu needs, preparation of food with focus on quality, presentation and appearance.
- Ensures the freshness of all prepared items by implementing proper rotation of food items prepared, properly wrapping and labeling prepared food items, and preparing only the amounts of food items as assigned.
- Participates and maintains the cleanliness and sanitation of all kitchen, café and storage areas under the auspices of BVSDCC including, but not limited to, walk-ins, refrigeration, freezers, and dry storage areas.
- Monitors and records continuous electronic temperature monitoring (and secondary manual recording) on all cook/chill equipment per the HACCP + Food Safety guidelines.
- Uses, assembles and disassembles, cleans, and maintains institutional food service equipment such as slicers, shredders, ovens, mixers, Sous Vide Equipment, Cook/Chill, 200 Gallon Commercial Kettles, Grinders, Graters, Choppers, Baggers, Vacuum Seal Equipment, and commercial ware-washers.
- Fosters district commitment to excellence and equity by ensuring that employees and students are valued, respected and provided a positive work/learning environment.
- Reads and responds to all emails, reads Food Service newsletters, establishes positive relations with internal and external customers, including students, staff, and school administration, parents, and community members.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Communicate (read, write, and speak) in English.
- Completed and submitted BVSD online application.
- Must pass FS Online Training Assessment by completion of probationary period.
- Must obtain ServSafe Certificate; must acquire must acquire within 60 working days after hire and every 5 years thereafter.
- Offer contingent upon passing post offer physical.
- Must be able to perform tasks on computers and peripherals.
- Must pass Math Test upon entry.
- Must have working knowledge of commercial large scale kitchen equipment, such as slicers, shredders, ovens, mixers, cook/chill machines, chillers, blast chillers, vacuum sealers, and commercial dishwashers.
- Ability to operate equipment such as hand trucks and pallet jacks.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs on a frequent basis.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of two years experience in: Large Scale Food Service Production Environment (at least 2000 portions).
- Salary Placement varies according to experience and education.
Application and Selection Procedure:
- External Candidates: Apply on-line at jobs.bvsd
- Current BVSD Employees: Must apply through the INFOR portal
- If you do not have internet access, a computer is available in the Human Resources Division, Education Center, 6500 E. Arapahoe, Boulder, Colorado.
- Applications are reviewed to match candidates with position qualifications, with a limited number selected for interviews. For the final selection, employment is contingent upon successful completion of the post-offer screening process, including a background check and possible medical examination.
The Boulder Valley School District is an equal opportunity educational institution and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, sex, gender identity/expression, national origin, creed, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status in admission or access to, and treatment and employment in its educational programs or activities. Inquiries or complaints: BVSD Legal Counsel - 720-561-5903; Office for Civil Rights - http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/addresses.html