Boulder Valley School District is committed to create challenging, meaningful, and engaging learning opportunities so that all children thrive and are prepared for successful, civically engaged lives. Our comprehensive and innovative approach to education ensures that each student meets expectations relative to intellectual growth, physical development and social emotional well-being. The district covers approximately 500 square miles and serves the communities of Boulder, Erie, Louisville, Lafayette, Superior, Broomfield, Nederland, Ward, Jamestown and Gold Hill. Website: BVSD.
Position Start Date: Immediately
Position Type: Bus Driver
FTE: 0.50 - 20 - 30 hours per week - Regular, ongoing
Pay Range:* $24.51 - $28.41
Closing Date: October 2, 2023
All newly hired candidates will receive a $1,000 incentive upon completion of their first 90 working days. An additional $2,500 will be provided if the candidate already has a CDL (B with PS endorsement and no air brake restriction) upon hire.
No Experience Necessary!
Responsible for the safe operation and basic maintenance of a vehicle transporting students to and from schools or school-authorized events, in accordance to policies and procedures. Duties include, but are not limited to assuring the safe operations surrounding the transportation of all riders; student management and discipline; maintaining schedules and route reference materials; and communication with parents/guardians, students and school officials.
- Report to assigned terminal at required times and maintain assigned scheduled times with an emphasis on safety.
- Operate, inspect and report defects of transportation fleet vehicles in all weather and road conditions.
- Provide support for students with disabilities, including, but not limited to the proper use of transportation equipment, attend to hygienic needs and behavioral challenges, monitor medical conditions and utilize specialized communication tools.
- Communicate with district representatives, parents/guardians and community members.
- Maintain assigned vehicle cleanliness and route guides.
- Be familiar with, adhere to and enforce all regulations, policies and procedures for school bus operation and student transportation safety and conduct.
- Monitor and manage behavior of all riders using management strategies and student discipline while monitoring for suspected child abuse, harassment, bullying and medical conditions.
- Identify and respond to emergency situations on the bus which may include the administration of standard First Aid, body fluid clean-up and evacuation procedures.
- Accept responsibility for the safe transportation of students and assure they are all accounted for after each run, route or trip.
- Complete and submit mandatory paperwork to applicable department and Agencies.
- Provide input to dispatch, routing and supervisors concerning the effectiveness and accuracy of assigned routes in respect to design, student stops, safety issues, time and student information.
- Maintain professional communication and demeanor with all district employees, students and community members while being responsible for a safe and collaborative environment on the bus.
- Communicate on a two-way radio system in accordance with Federal Communications Commission regulations.
- Successfully complete all required courses, evaluations and meetings.
- Collaborate in the planning of bus evacuation plans and student management techniques on assigned routes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Complete and submitted BVSD online application.
- Communicate (read, write, and speak) in English.
- Must pass Pre-Employment/Post-Offer Physical Examination; required upon hire.
- Must pass transportation equipment evaluation within 30 days of hire.
- Currently hold a valid Colorado Driver's License.
- Possess or obtain a Colorado Commercial Driver's License Class B with P and S endorsement no airbrake restriction within 30 days of hire.
- Department of Transportation (DOT) Medical Examiner's Certificate (MEC) required upon hire.
- Submit a current Motor Vehicle Record (MVR). Must be insurable and maintain insurability per Colorado School Districts Self Insurance Pool (CSDSIP) standards (MVR Insurability Standards); required upon hire.
- Proficient in PC operations.
- Child Safety Restraint Systems for School Buses; must acquire within 30 days of hire.
- Two-way radio systems; required upon hire.
- Must maintain all required certifications throughout employment.
- Experience working with children ages 0-21 years.
- Ability to diffuse and manage volatile and stressful situations.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English).
Salary Placement varies according to experience and education.
*Pay range listed above is for employees newly hired to BVSD or current BVSD employees that are new to the employee group (existing employees currently in this unit please refer to the pay range on the appropriate salary schedule). BVSD engages in a salary placement process vs. a salary negotiation process. This information is provided in compliance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act and is the company's good faith and reasonable estimate of the compensation range and benefits offered for this position. The compensation offered to the successful applicant may vary based on factors including experience and education. All salaries are set by Human Resources based on a review of qualifications compared to the requirements on the job description; therefore listing all related education and experience on your application is recommended.
Application and Selection Procedure:
- Apply on-line at jobs.bvsd(in-district transfers, be sure to include your BVSD employee number).
- If you do not have internet access, a computer is available in the Human Resources Division, Education Center, 6500 E. Arapahoe, Boulder, Colorado.
- Applications are reviewed to match candidates with position qualifications, with a limited number selected for interviews. For the final selection, employment is contingent upon successful completion of the post-offer screening process, including a background check and possible medical examination.
The Boulder Valley School District is an equal opportunity educational institution and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, sex, gender identity/expression, national origin, creed, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status in admission or access to, and treatment and employment in its educational programs or activities. Inquiries or complaints: BVSD Legal Counsel - 720-561-5903; Office for Civil Rights - http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/addresses.html