Bus Assistant-Special Education
Boulder Valley School District is committed to create challenging, meaningful, and engaging learning opportunities so that all children thrive and are prepared for successful, civically engaged lives. Our comprehensive and innovative approach to education ensures that each student meets expectations relative to intellectual growth, physical development and social emotional well-being. The district covers approximately 500 square miles and serves the communities of Boulder, Erie, Louisville, Lafayette, Superior, Broomfield, Nederland, Ward, Jamestown and Gold Hill. Website: BVSD.
Position Start Date: Immediately
Position Type: Bus Assistant
FTE: 0.50 - 20 hours per week - Regular, ongoing
Pay Range:* $17.87 - $20.73
Closing Date: March 9, 2023 or until filled
The Bus Assistant is responsible for assisting school bus drivers with safe and dependable transportation for students from birth to age 21. They assist individual and/or groups of students on the school bus to and from school and school-related events while working with the school bus driver, as a team, to ensure the safety of all on the school bus.
- Provide support for students with disabilities, including, but not limited to the proper use of transportation equipment, attend to hygienic needs and behavioral challenges, monitor medical conditions and utilize specialized communication tools. Assisting may include moving around the bus while it is in motion.
- Report to assigned terminal at required times.
- Identify and respond to emergency situations on the bus which may include the administration of standard First Aid, body fluid clean-up and evacuation procedures.
- Communicate with district representatives, parents/guardians and community members.
- Perform detailed inspections of mechanical equipment on assigned vehicles in accordance to policies and procedures.
- Monitor and manage behavior of all riders using management strategies and student discipline while monitoring for suspected child abuse, harassment, bullying and medical conditions.
- Accept responsibility for the safe transportation of students and assure they are all accounted for after each run, route or trip.
- Complete and submit mandatory paperwork to applicable department and agencies.
- Provide input to dispatch, routing and supervisors concerning the effectiveness and accuracy of assigned routes in respect to design, student stops, safety issues, time and student information.
- Maintain professional communication and demeanor with all district employees, students and community members while being responsible for a safe and collaborative environment on the bus.
- Successfully complete all required courses, evaluations and meetings.
- Collaborate in the planning of bus evacuation plans and student management techniques on assigned routes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Complete and submitted BVSD online application.
- Communicate (read, write, and speak) in English.
- Must pass pre-employment/post-offer physical examination upon hire.
- Must pass transportation equipment evaluation; must acquire within 30 days of hire.
- Crisis Prevention Institute’s Nonviolent Crisis Intervention Certification; must acquire within 60 days of hire.
- Child Safety Restraint Systems for School Buses; must acquire within 30 days of hire.
- Proficient in PC Operations.
- Must maintain all required certifications throughout employment.
- Up to and including one year experience in School Bus Transportation.
- Experience working with children ages 0-21 years.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with passengers, parents, and school staff.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English).
Salary Placement varies according to experience and education.
*Pay range listed above is for employees newly hired to BVSD or current BVSD employees that are new to the employee group (existing employees currently in this unit please refer to the pay range on the appropriate salary schedule). BVSD engages in a salary placement process vs. a salary negotiation process. This information is provided in compliance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act and is the company's good faith and reasonable estimate of the compensation range and benefits offered for this position. The compensation offered to the successful applicant may vary based on factors including experience and education. All salaries are set by Human Resources based on a review of qualifications compared to the requirements on the job description; therefore listing all related education and experience on your application is recommended.
Application and Selection Procedure:
- Apply on-line at jobs.bvsd(in-district transfers, be sure to include your BVSD employee number).
- If you do not have internet access, a computer is available in the Human Resources Division, Education Center, 6500 E. Arapahoe, Boulder, Colorado.
- Applications are reviewed to match candidates with position qualifications, with a limited number selected for interviews. For the final selection, employment is contingent upon successful completion of the post-offer screening process, including a background check and possible medical examination.
The Boulder Valley School District is an equal opportunity educational institution and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, sex, gender identity/expression, national origin, creed, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status in admission or access to, and treatment and employment in its educational programs or activities. Inquiries or complaints: BVSD Legal Counsel - 720-561-5903; Office for Civil Rights - http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/addresses.html
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Pay: $17.87 to $20.73/hour
ongoing </p><p><b>* </b>$17.87 - $20.73</p><p><b>Closing Date: </b>March 9
Job Reference #: 4705